Saturday, September 19, 2009

More tourig


This is Schonrunn. It was the Hapsurg witer palace. You ca't take pictures iside, wie trauig. It's styled after Versilles, but its much smaller, much more practical. Maria Theresa and Marie Atoiette lived here. Awesome huh? They have a ig hall, kind of like the hall of mirrors, ut smaller, and I thought way more impressive. As I rememer the hall of mirrors was kinda, tarnished looking, this one has paintings on the ceiling that represent the provinces of austria and Maria Theresa's ruleing style, and they're still in really good shape. There are actually reovatios going on right now, so we got to see a little of how that goes too. I think my favorite room was this giant blue bedroom, I think it belonged to either Maria Theresa or Franz Joseph, one of those important people, but it was really pretty. You would have liked it too Mom, cause it was so blue. We're going back to the gardens next week, so I'll put those pictures up later.


I love stained glass here; it is so much lighter than I’ve seen other places. So we were talking about it in my art class and we think that cathedrals are really dark today, but I their time they were the lightest bulldogs there were, because most other buildings, if they had widows had really small ones that were always curtained. Also part of the phenomenon of stained glass is that it looks like nothing on the outside, but when you go in it lights up ad makes pictures, like magic. Cathedrals were supposed to e a representation of the heavenly city o earth. And apparently they went through a phase where they did pastel locks to let in even more light. This church is actually only 150 years old. It was commissioned y Maximilian (the one who eventually became emperor of Mexico and got executed) when his brother Franz Joseph, very important, almost got assassinated but didn’t. It’s called the Votiv church, like votive candles, I thanksgiving.


This is the first public drinking fountain we have seen in Vienna. It was very exciting, much more exciting than the church. That is Johann. His name is John but he has changed it for the purposes of Europe. He was among those who tried to use the fountain without a bottle. My picture of Megan didn’t turn out as well.